Thursday, March 6, 2008

A New Weight Loss Plan

So I just got back from the doc's office.....again......I've been on 3 rounds of antibiotics since December and this sore throat problem keeps recurring. Bottom line is....he says I have "cryptic Tonsils" with chronic tonsillitis as the result....he said my tonsils are huge. My glands in my throat are so swollen and painful from this chronic throat problem that I just about jumped off the table when he was feeling for them. So, he gave me a 3 week supply of antibiotics and said that if this doesn't knock it out then the next step is an ENT and tonsillectomy. My first reaction was....HELL no....I have no interest in going under the knife. But then I started coming to my senses and thinking that a tonsillectomy might be just what I need to kick my weight loss plan into gear!! It's a little extreme but drastic times call for drastic measures!

4 comments:

Karen MEG said...

I've always had problems with my tonsils too. But my latest problem is my 4 month old cough ... what a bloody pain.

Oh, the ISTJ and ENFP are Meyers-Briggs personality tests results. We're both classic cases.

thanks for coming by my blog and blogrolling me. I'm really enjoying yours!

Kellan said...

Hi Tammy, I'm sorry you are having so much trouble and maybe if you do choose to do the tonsillectomy, things could get better - I sure hope so.

Thanks so much for coming by - so nice to see you. And, thanks forr your prayers for our sweet baby. Take care and I'll see you soon. Kellan

Tab said...

I have that cryptic tonsil thing too and they give me nothing but trouble!

Kate said...

Hi, me again. Your blogger TWIN. Really, it's getting creepy the more I read and find that we are alike.

I had problems with my tonsils for years and tried for 10 years to find a doctor that would take them out. My tonsils were huge, full of holes and just plain gross. When I was sick, they touched in the middle. And I was sick often. But because I didn't have recurrent strep throat they wouldn't take them out. UNTIL I had a sleep study done and found out I had obstructive sleep apena. Then I got those puppies yanked out. The pathology report was frightening - basically my immune system was being poisoned.

Yes, the recovery wasn't fun, but not as excruciating as I imagined. The upside is that I rarely am sick anymore. Of course, with a son that's started school I've had a few things, but prior to children I'd be sick MAYBE once a year. It was lovely.

It's totally worth it and really is a minor surgery. I spent the night simply because of my diagnosis, but otherwise it's an outpatient thing. I had surgery before kids so I'm sure it'd be a challenge to coordinate help and try to function, but in the long run I don't think you'd be sorry.