Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Tackle It Tuesday

Tackle It Tuesday Meme



All right. The kids are all in school ALL DAY!! I'm getting back on the Tackle It Tuesday band wagon! I have a list a mile long of planned projects and didn't waist any time in getting started.


I'm on a mission to be a doityourselfer. I (theoretically) love doing home improvement projects. Although, my repertoire of do it yourself knowledge has been limited to painting up until now. I love to paint and transform rooms. I would love to know how to do other home improvement projects....like retiling an entire bathroom....replacing vanities and sinks....replumbing my master bathroom to add a two sink vanity (to replace the single sink vanity that's in there now). So, now that all the kids are in school full time I've decided to learn. I started with a small project. A tile backsplash in my kitchen. I'm DONE!!! Well....almost. The switch plates are on order and should be in sometime today. I'll edit this later and post pictures of the final step once I have them on.


The before photos: No backsplash. Just wallpaper.





Step one: Remove wallpaper. (Completed on Wednesday)






Step 2: Glue tile on. Completed Thursday.





Step 3: Let glue and tile set for 24 hours before grouting....then apply grout. Completed Saturday.


Be sure to leave a HUGE mess of splattered grout over every surface. This is very important.





Step 4: Let grout set for 24 - 48 hours.





Step 5: Apply sealer. Completed yesterday.





All done!

25 comments:

Kate said...

Tammy! That's beautiful! Seriously, I LOVE it. Ironically enough, that is almost identical to the tile backsplash that I want. I saw one similar on display and said "I.MUST.HAVE.THAT."

Awesome tackle! Man, if you can do it, I can do it.

Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see more projects! (Then, you wanna come help me??)

Kori said...

Hey, that looks GREAT! Though I think I hate you that your kitchen is both so big and so CLEAN! Seriously, though, you have done a great job.

Anonymous said...

Damn girl! That looks GOOD! Nice work chica...very impressed with the skillz.

Anonymous said...

Wow, beautiful! That's something I've been wanting to do for a while. Are those individual tiles or did it go up in sheets?

Anonymous said...

It looks awesome!!! I LOVE it! Congrat's to you for taking on the project . . . some things I'll do, other things I'm more than happy to write a check for :-)

Breanne said...

That looks really awesome!!

Marni's Organized Mess said...

You are right. That IS awesome. I will be taking this week off since I didn't get in til late last night, but my big tackle should be coming this month. Assuming I have time to finish it... lol.

Tracey said...

Very good job...but you cheated ....it wasn't a tackle it Tuesday it was also the Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday before!!! Good job anyway...looks great!

Susie said...

Great tackle!! You are my hero! I soooooooo want to do that in my kitchen. You made it look so easy! Thanks for the inspiration:-)

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

You ROCK!

I contemplated this, but was told I had to hang cement board first (we have old plaster walls that would prob crumble from the weight). Nuh-uh. No thanks! But it looks great in your kitchen, tho.

I'm just envious of those clear counters!!!

Christy said...

WOW! You make it look so easy!

It looks fabulous!

Rozzbin said...

That is fantastic!!!!

Dang girl, your kitchen counters are CLEAN!!!

Kelly said...

Very impressive....I'm telling ya you and Randy should go into business together!!!! (so I can quit my job) I will bring you two lunches!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That looks beautiful! I love your kitchen.

jessica @pianomomsicle said...

Wow, you did an incredible job! It looks professional!
i am CRAZY impressed at how great it looks! That was a lot of steps to follow through. i probably would have fizzled out around the "glue tile" stage. Oh, who am i kidding? i would have fizzled out right before "remove wallpaper":)

Anonymous said...

Saaaweeeeeeet. Love it. But dude, there goes my belief that tiling is a man's job. Don't show this post to my husband.

LittlePaintedPolkaDots said...

I love it! Great job!!!! J and I do a lot of the home remodeling projects too. Our next one is the bathroom so as soon as I learn how to do it, I'll share my secrets with you!!

Anonymous said...

WOW! What an adventurous tackle! Good for you!

Rachel said...

WOW! That's gorgeous! You did a GREAT job! :)

EatPlayLove said...

love it, I don't have a backsplash and it really makes the kitchen! so are you free next tuesday?

Happy2bme said...

Beautiful back splash choice!

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome. We hope to redo our kitchen soon. You'll have to come and do our backsplash.

Leslie said...

Oh wow. that looks absolutely fantastic! You did that all by yourself?? You so rock woman. Great job.

April said...

I'm duly impressed!

Cathy said...

Oh I am impressed! nice job!