Friday, June 20, 2008

The BIG years...

It's time for some more of Colleen's FlashBack Friday action......

So I left off in 1984...my ugliest year. Now I enter my high school years. We'll call this phase of my life "The Big Years"....big attitude, big drama, and BIG HAIR! Oh yeah baby....My hair got taller and taller every year of high school...by the time I reached my senior year I had a nest of birds taking up residence in my lovely bouffant.

I started out small in 1986....I was slowly learning how to get height. I was also starting to read my teen magazines religiously looking for instructions on makeup application. I would study the pictures of the models in the magazines noting the colors of their skin, hair, eyes and eyeshadow. I would then spend days experimenting with different colors and application techniques. Oh yes...I was THAT vain....oh, who am I kidding.....I'm STILL that vain.

Here I am at Christmas in 1986...I just know your dig'n that knit sweater and skirt set.



Then I enter my 10th grade year in 1988....I had slowly mastered the Aqua Net / big round brush/ blow dryer application technique...and blue eyeshadow was history.
Later in my 10th grade year I learned the UPSIDE DOWN/ aqua net/ big brown brush/ hairdryer application technique to achieve even MORE height....gravity is a wonderful thing...

My senior year....1990. My dear friend Traci had a black Trans Am. We thought we were the shit cruising around in that thing blasting AC/DC with the windows rolled down ....hell.....who am I kidding.....we WERE the shit! A good hair day was judged by whether or not we could fit our hair in her car. If our hair was smashed into the ceiling of her car....we were good.


I'll save my senior prom story for another post....stay tuned for more embarrassing photos....

9 comments:

Colleen - Mommy Always Wins said...

oh.my.god.

I'M NOT WORTHY!!! I'M NOT WORTHY!!!

You were the cool kid I wanted to be in high school - I could never get my hair up like that so I stopped trying. Now its sort of a blessing (I don't have pics of my hair like that) but then, the way my hair looked in my H.S. pics wasn't GOOD, either.

Dude. You even had the black trans am. My hubby would be soooo jealous!

Anonymous said...

Um, Tammy???? WTF??? Dude. Your hair was GINORMOUS!!! But with all due respect, mine wasn't too much smaller.

And the black Trans Am??? I would have to say that you were, indeed, the shit. I had to rawk it in an 81 Toyota Corrola. A black Trans would have catapulted me into the next level of hawtness.

Marni's Organized Mess said...

That is awesome. You are beautiful.

Happy2bme said...

Me and my friends looked the same as you!! I should do one and post my loving Aqua Net style. Great post!

Kate said...

Man, that's some BIG hair. And you crack me up...."A good hair day was judged by whether or not we could fit our hair in her car." That's just damn funny!

Anonymous said...

Clearly, you own stock in Aqua Net

Deb@Mommie Mayhem said...

Totally Awesome dude !! LOL I love the hair and the pics to. My sister still wears her hair that way lol.

Anonymous said...

Did you by any chance grow up in NJ? Becuase I did and I thought the upside down Aqua Net trip was copyrighted by us Jersey girls. Well OK I was a recently transplanted wanna be Jersey Girl but I tried... oh how I tried.

Allison said...

oh you had some WICKED BIG HAIR! awesome! (not to mention, tubular...heh heh) I love the Trans Am with AC/DC image. Did you go to my high school in Texas??? ;)

~you go girl~