Monday, May 26, 2008

Moment for Me ~ Week 6

Thank you for the well wishes and prayers. It's been a difficult weekend as there's such a void in our home. The whole family is very sad and I'm having a difficult time getting over the guilt factor as I feel partially responsible for the collar not being on her. So.....anyway.....We've been a little preoccupied this weekend so I'm a little late in getting this posted. Instead of sharing what I did for myself this week I wanted to share a piece of a book I recently read.

I bought Maria Shriver's latest book, Just Who Will You Be, nearly 3 weeks ago and it's been sitting on my kitchen counter collecting dust ever since. I've been putsing around with finishing my last book, Good In Bed, and FINALLY finished it Saturday night. Great book btw. So, Saturday night I curled up in bed with Maria Shrivers latest. It's such a quick read I read it in like 2 hours....if that. It was OK. Nothing Earth shattering. To be honest, I kinda expected more for the $15.00 I paid for it. But it does have a powerful message. "We are all works in progress. That means it's never too late to become the person you want to be." And she says that who you are is not defined by what you do for a living or what your roles in life are. Again, nothing Earth shattering, but a good reminder non-the-less.

But just when the book was about to end and my disappointment in the book was peaking I came to the last 2 pages of the book. It touched me. I want to share it with you.

"Not too long ago, I came up with a list of Ten Things I Pledge to Myself, in order to keep myself focused and centered on just who I want to be...(skipping stuff)......I'm sharing it with you with the hope you may enjoy coming up with your own pledge to yourself. But please write it in pencil ~because just like you, it's bound to change."

The following is Maria Shriver's list of 10 things she pledges to her self.

1) I pledge to "show up" in my life as myself, not as an imitation of anyone else.

2) I pledge to avoid using the word "just" to describe myself. For example, I won't say, "I'm just a mother," "I'm just a student," or "I'm just an ordinary person."

3) I pledge to give myself ten minutes of silence and stillness every day to get in touch with my heart and hear my own voice.

4) I pledge to use my voice to connect my dreams to my actions.

5) I pledge to use my voice to empower myself and others.

6) I pledge to serve my community at least once a year in a way that will benefit other people.

7) I pledge to ask myself, "Who am I? What do I believe in? What am I grateful for? What do I want my life to stand for?"

8) I pledge to sit down and write my own mission statement.

9) I pledge to live my own legacy.

10) And I pledge to pass it on.

If nothing else this book inspired me to try to come up with my own pledge to myself (hope she doesn't mind if I borrow a few of hers). That'll be next weeks M4M post. I will have a "ten things I pledge to myself" list ready for next week. I would love to see what your pledges would be. Play along next Monday if you're interested.


7 comments:

Kristen said...

That sounds like an awesome book. I love the pledges and I think I've read before that if you write down your goals, your 50% more likely to complete them! Way to inspire.

Happy2bme said...

Sounds like its worth reading.

Happy2bme said...

My cut and paste isn't working easily on my laptop for some reason. I was having a hard time doing the link up so I gave up.

Marni's Organized Mess said...

What a great great post. I can't wait to play!

I LOVE her list. Can I copy some? lol

stitchin' girl said...

The pledges are really intriguing. What a great, thought inspiring post. Actually creating my own pledges will take longer than a week - I plan to play, but maybe in a couple of weeks.

LittlePaintedPolkaDots said...

Great pledges! I may need to write my own 10 as well. Hope you're having a good day!

Marni's Organized Mess said...

Who did you hit up for your new blogger layout? I really want one too, but I'm not specifically sure of the details yet. :)